Friday 2 September 2011

Vanilla Cupcake with an Oreo Bottom and Oreo Frosting

I am so desperate to try something that at least looks interesting, like a red velvet, but for now I have to try and get my vanilla sponge right. So I came across this blog in my new obsession of cupcake/baking blogs and although it is primarily a chocolate cupcake, I took the idea of putting a double stuffed oreo at the bottom of my cupcakes :) delicious.

Ingredients

Cakes
110g Unsalted Butter
110g Caster Sugar
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract 
110g Self Raising flour


Frosting
300mls Whipping Cream
50g Icing Sugar
6 Finely Crushed Oreo Cookies
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


Method made easy!
1. Preheat your ovens to 180 and line you cupcake tray with cases. Break the oreos in half and place the side with frosting into the cupcake tray, frosting side up. 


2. Beat together the sugar and butter until pale and creamy, then gradually add in the eggs and vanilla extract. 
3. Fold in the sifted flour with a large metal spoon, keeping those precious air bubbles inside the batter. Then pour even amounts into cupcake cases.
4. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes whilst resisting the temptation to open the oven beforehand! Insert a skewer into the middle of the cake to check if they're done and leave to cool.
 

5. To make the frosting, whip together the cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until the mixture forms stiff peaks. I did this with a hand whisk and it didn't take me as long as I would've expected! Gently fold in the crushed Oreos with a spatula.
6. Spoon the frosting mixture into a piping bag with a star tip and decorate away, finishing with an Oreo onto.


I was so pleased with my cupcakes, although a bit dense looking, but okay for a first attempt I thought. However... the mixture got too hot/wet in the piping bag and instead of having gorgeous white cream with flecks of oreos, I had grey frosting... which although tasted the same (we ate all 12!) just weren't pretty.

 Note to self - practice makes perfect

Recipe Idea from Bakergirl

No comments:

Post a Comment